Wednesday, December 20, 2006

 

Really Real Reality


There is a nice appreciation of Judge Jones on the one year anniversary of his decision in Kitzmiller at The York Dispatch.
.
My second most favorite part is where the Judge tells of being at the party on the occasion of Time naming him one of the most influential people of the year:
He said he's reluctant to share stories about the party because "the Discovery Institute will say, 'Here's star-struck Judge Jones.'"

But he gives in.

"Stephen Colbert ... was moving quickly (around the room) and he sort of arrived in front of me and he said, 'Judge Jones,' and I started laughing because I think he's funny.

"And I said, 'Stephen Colbert.'

"Then, squinting his eyes, he said, 'Intelligent design: Seemed like a good idea at the time, didn't it?'

"And I said, 'I guess it did.'"
But, hands down, the funniest and most telling thing in the article (actually, some quotes at the end) was said by none other than Michael Behe:
"(Testifying) was daunting and at once exhilarating. I very much enjoyed the back and forth in the courtroom. ... I felt my own testimony went very much better than the opinion reflects.
You might want to check with the other DI fellows, Mike ... it's not just the opinion.
.
______________________________________
.
Oh, and another good (and more serious) quote from remarks Judge Jones made on Nov. 26, 2006 at Bennington College's Ruth D. Ewing Lecture in Social Activism:
The one thing I want you to remember, if I leave you with nothing else tonight, is that the Rule of Law is not a conservative or liberal value. It is assuredly not a Republican or Democratic value either; rather, it is an American value. ... The challenge for our time, then, as it relates to the cherished system of justice created by our Founders, is to ensure that threats against judges -- and by implication to judicial independence -- are ratcheted down, and that our independent judiciary is thus preserved.
That is not limited merely to the sphere of science or education either. That is what is necessary if we want to keep our freedom.
.
Comments:
Michael Behe: " I felt my own testimony went very much better than the opinion reflects."

Mark Twain (I believe) said that Wagner's music is much better than it sounds.
 
Perfect!

]8^D
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

. . . . .

Organizations

Links
How to Support Science Education
archives