Monday, April 16, 2007

 

Is Disco Dead?


There is an interesting report by Zachary Moore, a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Texas, who attended the first session of the Discovery Institute's dog and pony show at SMU.

According to Dr. Moore:

... I was waiting in the auditorium lobby for the conference to start, I struck up a conversation with Todd Norquist, one of the Discovery Institute's employees in the Center for Science and Culture (the department that advocates for Intelligent Design). I asked him how many of these conferences were planned by the Discovery Institute, and he seemed hesitant, telling me that he didn't know if any more of them were going to be possible, since the costs were too high for the Institute to handle. He mentioned something about it costing $70,000, although I don't recall if that was the amount to produce the Dallas event alone, or if that was the current cost for the whole series thus far (the only previous event being in Knoxville). He complained that there had been virtually no money allocated for advertising, the sole contribution being $1000 paid to Scott Wilder for an "interview" of Stephen Meyer a week previously. He then told me (quite openly, also, which I thought was odd) that the financial situation of the Discovery Institute was grim, and that they were "bleeding money" and were "barely able to keep the lights on in Seattle."

I think it was at about this point that he may have realized that he probably shouldn't be advertising this, and so he abruptly asked me if I was a Christian. I shook my head no, and said, "not anymore, but I used to be." He nodded silently, and then quickly found somewhere else to be.


I'm not holding my breath or anything but, as someone used to say, Veeeerrry interesting ...
__________________________

I also posted this over at talk.origins and the funniest comment belongs to Tracy Hamilton about the complaint that they are having trouble keeping the lights on:

Who needs light when you can issue press releases cursing the darkness?


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

. . . . .

Organizations

Links
How to Support Science Education
archives