Tuesday, March 16, 2010

 

It's In the Stars


A (funny) thought:
In Louisiana, a 2008 law says the state board of education may help teachers promote "critical thinking" on ["the advantages and disadvantages of scientific theories," including "evolution, the origins of life, global warming, and human cloning"]. The Texas state school board requires teachers to present all sides on evolution and global warming.

All well and good, but not good enough. I am in favor of critical thinking, but let's go further. Our young people are entitled to think about the advantages and disadvantages of other controversial matters.

Astrology, for example. According to a recent Pew Research Center survey, 25 percent of Americans believe in astrology.

Being an Aries, I am open-minded on the subject. I do not know whether the stars can predict the future, reveal my personality, or advise me on my love life and whether I ought to buy or sell securities. And I do not know if the zodiac can explain why I burst into maniacal laughter when I read that one out of four Americans believes in astrology.

In any case, though, the fact that one out of four Americans believes in anything surely means it's important enough that our young people should be taught about its advantages and disadvantages. Right?

- Leonard Boasberg, Philadelphia Inquirer, March 16, 2010

Comments:
Rather than bringing up controversies about astrology and such, if you want to get the public's attention, you should suggest teaching the controversy about the rules of football. Why should we impose arbitrary rules on the kids - let the kids hear all the alternatives and decide for themselves.

Tom S.
 
As I have, literally, just unpacked my newly acquired copy of Hoesen & Neugebauer "Greek Horoscopes" can I apply for a job (well payed of course) teaching the controversy?
 
p.s. I also own a Tetrabiblos!
 
p.s. I also own a Tetrabiblos!
 
Don't be reposting stuff like that, John. You don't want to give them ideas.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

. . . . .

Organizations

Links
How to Support Science Education
archives