Friday, August 29, 2014

 

Protecting Backs


PZ Myearshertz points to a video and a gofundme campaign by Daniel Ashley Pierce who was apparently beaten ... particularly by his mother ... and thrown out of the house by his family because he is gay.

His gofundme campaign was looking for $2,000 to "get the basic things I need such as a bed, text books, medical stuff and transportation."

Instead, in a day (last time I looked) he has raised $84,463 from 3,185 donations. That should keep him for a couple of years, at least.

The cynical lawyer part of me says it might have been staged to raise money, but it didn't feel that way. It would take a Shakespeare to stage such horror. Anyway, I kicked a few bucks in ... not more than I'd spend on lunch and a couple of drinks after work. I think it is worth it to do the same.

Maybe I'm a sucker, but maybe there is a bigger lesson in all this ... maybe the next kid will feel freer to tell the truth in a hostile environment in hopes that people ... caring people ... will have their backs.
_____________________________________________________________

Update: From Daniel:
I would like to the opportunity to thank each and everyone of you who has so generously donated. My intent is to pay if forward and hopefully turn something so negative into something positive. I will do my best to value the gift I have been given by so many of you. Thank you for your love and support.

If you would still like to make a donation please consider donating to Lost-N-Found Youth in Atlanta... they have been an amazing support and resource through this difficult time.
I sent them a few bucks too.

Comments:
Look on the bright side. He's lucky his family weren't really good Christians. We all know what would have happened to him if they'd followed the Old Testament sentencing guidelines for gays and disrespectful children to the letter.
 
It's very Informative
Interracial Dating
Black Women Dating

 
Cleaning company Khamis Mushait
Every woman suffers from the daily cleaning of her home but she may not get the perfect cleanliness she wants. So a cleaning company in the mother of sahk offers my lady the perfect solution to clean your house or villa without bothering you and the desired cleaning. Efficiency, and through our company you can get the floors of a bright and neat house and clean water tanks and walls are very clean while preserving the colors, and also the marble and marble all this and more found in شركة تنظيف فلل بخميس مشيط
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

. . . . .

Organizations

Links
How to Support Science Education
archives